Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chinatown Visit

Before we went to Chinatown I thought it was going to be easier to interview the people there because all the asian people that I know and that are asian are really nice. It didn't change when we arrived there. The thing that made it hard to go up to people is that we would mostly see old people. One of our group members told us that mostly old people don't speak English so we didn't even try asking them. Something that I noticed different from Chinatown and the Fruitvale is that in Chinatown there are alot more shops that sell cultural stuff. They sell those pretty dresses called Kimonos. Something that surprised me about chinatown is that there was a lot of people walking up and down the streets. Something similar that I noticed between Chinatown and the Fruitvale is that the streets are dirty they have gum on them and they were also cracked. Another similarity between them two is that there is a lot of tagging on the walls, on the streets and on the windows of some old buildings. Another similarity that i saw is that when you are with your own race you feel more comfortable to be in that place because you can communicate in their language or even talk about the things that you feel you can talk about. For example when we went to the Fruitvale I felt more comfortable to be there because I could communicate better with the people, but yesterday that we were in Chinatown I had a difficult time trying to talk to the people that were there.

1 comment:

Life Academy said...

Nice observations, Valeria! I know what you mean about the cultural stuff in Chinatown -- they have a lot of things for sale from China... probably because they miss those things from home. But I think there's stuff like that in Fruitvale, too. Like Quinceanera dresses, Dia de Los Muertos skeletons and decorations, and other stuff like that. Maybe it's harder to see what's up in Fruitvale because you're used to seeing it. Nice blogging so far!